24.5.10

DA LEGGERE
Eric Hobsbawm, "My Days as a Jazz Critic". "I owe my years as a jazz reporter to John Osborne’s Look Back in Anger, which made the British cultural establishment of the mid-1950s take notice of a music so evidently dear to the new and talented Angry Young Men. When, needing some money, I saw that Kingsley Amis wrote in the Observer on a subject about which he obviously knew no more and possibly less than I did, I called a friend at the New Statesman. He arranged a meeting with the editor, Kingsley Martin, then at the peak of his glory, who said 'Why not?', explained that he conceived his typical reader as a male civil servant in his forties, and passed me on to the commander of the (cultural) back half of the mag, the formidable Janet Adam Smith. Her interests ranged from mountaineering to poetry, but did not include jazz. As 'Francis Newton' (named after a Communist jazz trumpeter who played on Billie Holiday’s 'Strange Fruit'), I wrote a column every month or so for the New Statesman for about ten years." LRB.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento